Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Fight Against Cancer



Recently  I was bustling into a grocery store, my mind many miles away making lists and notes when suddenly I was forced to ponder upon serious issues as I passed by a young lady doing her part to raise money for breast cancer research.

My mind zig zagged up to the present as I looked at her placidly sitting behind a well worn plastic folding table strewn with brightly colored plastic cups, mega sized bottles of root beer, and a frosty tub of ice cream.  Her sign summed up her mission: "Root Beer Floats. $1. For breast cancer research." As my mind careened around I wondered if she even had the dimmest notion of what she was REALLY accomplishing.  I wondered if she had ever heard of the devastating effects of sugar on the human body in general but especially on cancer.  Or  even more basic if she knew that sugar, food coloring, and a host of other nasties were the components  in the frothy brown jug and the frozen block that were impostering as treats on her table.

I wondered what an immense difference it could have made to take the same well used plastic table, arrange a  decadent display of leafy greens like crunchy romaine and frilly kale, robust roots like carrots and beets, and mouthwatering fruits like sweet apples and juicy kiwi and then serve delicious samples of freshly made juices and smoothies from those tried and true cancer warriors.  And when people's taste buds got tickled with the legitimate treats she could have handed them a card containing recipes on how to make them and outlining the vibrant cancer fighting properties hidden in those very common treasures of the earth.

The story could have been different. The story should have been different. 

Later as I left the store I was still pondering the irony of it and feeling powerless and frustrated about the sincere misguidedness of so many people.  

But then it began to dawn on me.  I wasn't powerless!  Every bunch of curly kale, juicy cucumber, and sweet tomato that we harvest IS making a difference.  It left me with an even greater longing to cooperate with our Creator in tangible, intelligent methods to make the very ordinary brown clay soil of our farm produce an abundant harvest.  To learn better methods of enticing people to choose to purchase and eat our produce.  To learn and to implement better ways of meeting the real needs of our customers.  To make our farm  a place where at the end of the day our team members have a sense of satisfaction from their work that overrides their tired feet, torn blue jeans, achy back, and calloused hands.

That, I decided could be our part in this human fight against a host of cancers and other diseases that are threatening people's very existence. And not only will it provide a breadth and depth of legitimate flavors and textures  for many people's palates - including mine, it can be a shelter for change and refreshment in a world of odds and challenges.





2 comments:

Katrina said...

Love this post! Thank you for voicing what many of us feel when we see this same thing! And thank you for the work you do to provide us with the beautiful and delicious food God made for us all to eat!

Anonymous said...

That is an incredible story. How I wish it was fiction. I had hoped that by changing our families eating habits that we could have a better chance of keeping healthy, in my case healthier. Sadly I was diagnosed with Systemic Lupus (SLE) 3 years after the birth of our son. I became dependent on healthy eating because I developed a severe allergy to most pesticides that are transferred into the flesh of the vegetable or fruit that grew in that environment. GO FIGURE! If God did not have a hand in this one then I will stop believing tomorrow!

Thank you kindly for your excellent view on garbage foods! They are truly best left there, in the garbage! What a shame for that young lady. Perhaps a little enlightenment was necessary! Kills my husband because if I see something bad or wrong I am the first one to open my "big gorgeous mouth" and say something! LOL