Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mothers Day Strawberries



On Mothers day I was delighted to be able to take care of David and Hope's children while they went on a little date.

We had a lot of fun together. We worked in my flower garden, picked lettuce, and picked fat juicy strawberries. After carefully carrying the produce home, the kids played with Legos while I got the strawberries prepped for our little food adventure. After I got a pan of carob chips melted and all the components lined up on the island, I dipped a couple of strawberries - they looked beautiful! Next, I got the eager kids set up on stools so they could help. Wow - they went at it with gusto. Carob was flinging everywhere! I learned that I was much more concerned with the visual appeal of carob dipped strawberries than they were!

In spite of our differences in expectations we struck a delicious compromise and soon there were two plates of plump juicy strawberries peeking out from lumpy carob coats. After the carob hardened in the fridge for a bit, we packaged some up and wrapped them with ribbons for them to give to their mommy for Mother's day.

 Later that evening, after the kids went home, we enjoyed a simple home grown meal with Byron's folks. We ended the meal with creatively dipped delicious strawberries.  I was reminded again that love is the best ingredient it for most recipes. Happy Mothers Day!

No comments: